Galena, IL (815) 777-0481

Byron, IL (815) 234-2942



Q. How quickly will I get my refund?

A. The IRS issues most refunds in less than 21 calendar days. 

Q. When can I start checking on my refund status?

A. You can start checking on the status of your return within 24 hours after we have received your e-filed tax return or 4 weeks after you mail a paper tax return. 

Q. Its been more than 21 days since the IRS received my return and I have not gotten my refund. Why?

 A. The IRS works hard to issue refunds as soon as possible, but some tax returns take longer to process than others for many reasons, including when a return: 

  • includes errors,
  • is incomplete,
  • needs further review,
  • is impacted by identity theft or fraud,
  • failure to include information from the Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement,
  • includes Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, which could take up to 14 weeks to process.

If the IRS needs more information to process your tax return, they will contact you by mail. (The IRS will NEVER contact you by email or phone.)
IRS representatives can research the status of your return only if its been 21 days or more since you filed electronically, more than six weeks since you mailed your paper return, or if "Where's My Refund?" directs you to contact us.
It is also possible that you did not update your direct deposit information with your tax preparer. Please be mindful to update all information to ensure the smooth delivery of your refund.


Q. What do I do if my refund is different than what was shown on my return?

A. If your refund amount is different than what is shown on your return, you will receive a notice within 7 to 10 business days explaining the difference.

Q. How long does it take to get my refund?

A. If you file your return electronically and have your refund directly deposited into your checking or savings account, you will receive your refund faster. If you file a paper return, the timeframe is extended. In general, you can expect your refund to take longer than previous years as we continue our efforts to prevent identity theft and fraud. You may use our refund inquiry application to check the status of your current year refund.

Q. I have lost or misplaced my refund check, how do I go about getting a new one?

A. For a replacement check you must call the Comptroller's Office at 1 800 877-8078.

Q. Where's my check? The site says its been more than 10 days since it was mailed. What should I do?

A. For a replacement check you must call the Comptroller's Office at 1 800 877-8078.

Q. What information do I need?

A. Social Security Number, Tax Year and Amount of refund requested

Q. Can I use this site to review the status of my refund for years other than the current Tax Year?

A. Yes. You can use this application to review the status of your refund from previous years as long as you enter all the required information.

To check your return status by telephone:


  • (608) 266-8100 in Madison
  • (414) 227-4907 in Milwaukee, or
  • toll free (866) WIS-RFND (947-7363) in other areas.

Important: Whether you are checking online or by phone, be sure you have a copy of your Wisconsin return on hand to verify information